Summary: Research and investigate the design, functionality and maintenance of mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes. Education/Experience: Bachelor's degree in engineering required. Five to seven years engineering experience required. Skills and Competencies: Creativity, verbal and written communication skills, analytical and problem solving ability. Team player and detail oriented. Ability to make sketches, engineering drawings and common computations. Ability to read and interpret blueprints, technical drawing, schematics and computer-generated reports. Previous experience with computer applications and software related to engineering field. Major Job Duties and Responsibilities: Research, design, develop, manufacture, and test tools, engines, machines and other mechanical devices. Research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals to determine time and cost feasibility to complete projects. Assist drafters in developing the structural design of products using tools, equipment or software.
Job Duties/Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to: * Establish packaging and processing specifications at the part number level for new product introductions, cost savings, or other supply chain improvement * Communicate with existing facilities on packaging issues related to receiving, warehousing, and/or line side delivery * Perform cost analysis on current packaging processes and recommend changes where appropriate * Lead low risk Green Belt projects * Perform activities to ensure parts are protected, shipped, and delivered to the customer in a usable fashion * Develop packaging solutions to protect finished painted components * Design for transport efficiency * Perform containerization analysis, testing, and quoting * Validate new packaging and containers during pilot phase * Coordinate with operations for storage and ergonomic considerations * Develop kitting packaging * Validate returnable quantities through simulations * Resolve safety and / or quality issues caused by current packaging * Resolve issues reported by customers and process partners * Develop, communicate and maintain supplier packaging requirements * Audit conformance to packaging specification * Joint Process Improvement with packaging vendors and purchasing * Create packaging concepts using 3D modeling software (i.e. Pro-E)
* Bachelor of Science Degree in Packaging, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or Manufacturing Engineering.
*3 years engineering experience
* Minimum 1 year of industrial packaging design experience
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Ability to perform data query analysis (i.e. SAS, business objects)
* Strong interpersonal, teamwork, organization and communication skills
* Knowledge and understanding of 6 Sigma project management principles
* Develop and deploy creative / original solutions to complex problems
* Knowledge of material handling equipment
* Minimum 1 year project management experience
* Familiar with company policies and procedures with a strong department background
* Additional packaging design experience in automotive or similar industry
* Creo or Solid Works Packaging Modeling Experience